Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas and Traditions

December 7th 2011

I've been thinking about Christmas and all the traditions that go along with it.
So, I wanted to post a couple pictures of decorations around the house, along with relating some of the traditions I've been hearing about lately.

Collin and I needed to go simple this year, I did not want to have to fight Eithan every day about not touching the Christmas tree. {Boy, am I glad that I did that.}


Tradition Idea #1 : On Christmas Eve every one opens a present, and it is a pair of PJs.

I love this idea. Not only because it is something practical, but because on Christmas morning.. everyone is wearing new and matching clothes. You could color coordinate, give everyone something fun and funky. Your imagination is the limit. And if you like homemade... you could make the PJs.

So, we are starting this tradition this year. Eithan has some fun 'footy' pajamas sitting underneath the tree for him right now.


Tradition Idea #2 : Every child has their own little Christmas tree in their bedroom, that they get to decorate every year.

I had my own Christmas tree while growing up. I loved it. I loved putting on 'my' decorations, because they were my decorations. Along with the tradition of having a Christmas tree, I thought that it would be neat to have each child receive their own ornament. That way they have ornaments to take with them when they move out, get married, etc. My sister-in-law was expressing how grateful she was that my brother came with his own ornaments. She didn't have anything. Seeing it from this perspective really gave me the idea to continue with the small tree, but add in an ornament with it.
 
{So, I think we'll be buying some ornaments half off this year... ya know.. after Christmas. smile.}



Tradition Idea #3 : Make gingerbread cookies/houses/trees. The idea is just to make gingerbread.

My family makes gingerbread every year. It is ingrained in my very being to make gingerbread every Christmas time. And this year was my first year to make it all by myself. I made some with my mom as well... but I made my own batch and made my own cookies too. It was a great way for me to learn how to carry on this tradition with my own family. And I can't wait to keep doing this again next year. 

 

{My sister in law made this beautiful snowflake for us a couple years ago. I am loving them all over again this year. A placed them underneath one of our small trees along with some snowflake confetti. It is beautifully simple, and I love it.}

Those are the idea I have been hearing, and I want to know what traditions you all have in your families. 
The more traditions the better. 
I really want to be able to start creating memories with my children... and it will help give you all ideas too. 


********

So in the beginning, when I said that I'm glad that I didn't do a Christmas tree this year...
I want to show you the reason why.

This was the face that I received today after hiding my laptop, and he wasn't able to get it out again.
 
Trying desperately to get it out from under the couch.


Still trying, but getting really mad that he can't pull it out.

Can you imagine what he would do to a Christmas tree, if he is this intent on getting a hidden laptop??
{sigh}

1 comment:

  1. I do the ornament thing. Except I can't bear the thought of not having my kiddo ornaments so I get a family one every year too. Usually I get something that they're REALLY into. Like last year I got an Ariel ornament because she was "it" last year, this year Kari is getting a Cinderella ornament and Jillian is getting a Mickey Mouse ornament. I have been thinking about having a kid tree, mostly because Kari wants a blue tree (I have no idea where she gets this stuff). It could be fun. I do want to do "real" gingerbread houses like your mom does every year. I always liked that. This year got away from me though. Next year. Also I want to do an advent, but instead of candy, it would be a scripture and then I really liked the idea of 25 different Christmas books (because who wants to read them other than at Christmas) that are all wrapped up and every night the kids open one, and we read it, ending with the Nativity story. I don't know, this is our 6th Christmas and we really don't have real traditions. It's kind of sad. :( Next year right? :)

    ReplyDelete