Sunday, March 11, 2012

|| Books || February

March 11th, 2012

I know this is late, but since it's my own record... it's probably not that big of a deal. Right?


The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Prisoner's Dilemma
By Trenton Lee Stewart


This is the third book in this series. I loved it just as much as the other books. It still is a children's book, but I love a light read. It is simple and has a great fun story. If anyone is interested in a fun read, I would recommend this. Or even if you wanted something to read to your kids... I have loved this series. {I'm hoping that there might be a 4th coming??}

Rebecca
by Daphne Du Maurier


This book has actually been recommended to me by several different people. And then a good friend of mine bought it for me and sent it to me. {thank you Kylene!}This book was a much different read that I am used to. It is a dark romance, and has a 'not so happy' ending (in my opinion). I loved the language in this book, descriptive without being overly so and it definitely sets the mood for the book. It's a good read for those who like the language and pace of Pride and Prejudice or Jane Eyre. 


Where Angels Fall
by Chris Stewart


This is the second volume in this 6 book series. All I can say is: I'm hooked. I put this one down and promptly started the next one. I love the fact that it gets me thinking about religious aspects while telling me a story. It feels so realistic too. All I can say is I want to build up my food storage, and prepare more for the future than I ever have in the past. I think that is a great thing. If a book is motivating me to do that... it has to be a great book. 


||Children's Books||

In addition, I thought I might include some awesome children's books that I've come across.
I'm doing this because I've decided that I'm a children's book snob. And if any of you are at all like me... you don't like reading a book that you can't stand over and over again to your child. So here's a little help for those who might be like me.

P.S. I didn't read all these books to Eithan in February... this is just an accumulation of books that I have come across over the last few months.


It's  a Little Book
by Lane Smith


The donkey in this book... is wondering what exactly the monkey/gorilla is doing with the object in his hands. He asks a variety of questions to figure out what it is. I love the illustrations. I love the simplicity. I love the fact that it really does feel like the world will come to this point some day.


Zero
by Kathryn Otoshi


LOVE the illustrations in this book. It has a simple moral and teaches numbers all at the same time. It is a great children's book. One that I don't mind reading over and over again.


One
by Kathryn Otoshi


Again, LOVE the illustrations in this book. It has a simple moral and teaches colors and numbers too. It is just wonderful. I also love reading this one over and over.


The Curious Garden
by Peter Brown


The whole story line.. isn't really my favorite. But the pictures are amazing. And the little boy's desire to spread beauty is something that I admire in people around me. So this book is definitely worth perusing. Enjoying for a week or so from the library.


A Visitor for Bear
by Bonny Becker


This is the story of a bear who does not want a visitor, and a little mouse who insists on visiting anyway. The story is cute, the illustrations are soft and warm and inviting. Another book to add to your every growing list of books to read to your kids.

If I Built a Car
by Chris Van Dusen


A total boys' book. If I could have a car like this, I would totally buy it. This little boy is so imaginative, and I love all the 'eco friendly' designs that he comes up with, besides all the instant gratification things that come with the simple push of a button. If your boys or girls like creative/imaginative ideas... this is the book for you!




Hopefully all of my thoughts made sense, and I didn't make this post too long.
I apologize to any of you who may think this was too long... I tried to simplify as much as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment