Wednesday, June 29, 2011

...one fell off and bumped his head


Sunday June 26th 2011

One little Eithan lying on the bed,

He scooted off and bonked his head.

Momma called..........................

1 Collin {no answer}

2 Dad {no answer, left message}

3 Collin {no answer}

4 Kylene PA friend {no answer}

5 Jeremy PA friend’s husband

{answerCan I talk to Kylene???}


I can’t believe that my little one fell off the bed!

I thought that I was going to be so smart and not ever let him fall off the bed.


Alas, I am not that smart....


I went to the restroom, and I was only in there for a few minutes. I kept peeking out the door to see if he was still doing ok. Every time I looked he was fine.

(I guess my perspective while sitting down was skewed, because I couldn’t tell that he was scooting himself off the bed.)

THUMP! {Loud screaming and crying}

I rush (I don’t even wash my hands) to my little one who is lying on the floor, face up, screaming hysterically. I pick him up carefully and set him on the bed to see if everything is still moving/wiggling/not bleeding. All appears to be in order, so I pick him back up again and he continues to scream at me. This is where the calling comes in. I couldn’t get a hold of anybody, and I just happen to NOT have the phone numbers that I needed. AHHHH!!! So, my dear friend Kylene came to my rescue (seeing as she’s a PA and all that...). She told me what to do, and what to look for, and for the most part calmed my fears. {My baby just fell off the bed; forgive me if I am a bit inconsolable.} After talking to her, I call my dad again... and he finally gets back in touch with me. He tells me the same thing that Kylene told me. This starts to ease my fears a little more, and I relax as Eithan wakes from a very short nap a little later.

All in all, we are all OK. I took a picture of his poor head where he got all red for you all to see. I still feel absolutely horrible. I am so glad that he didn’t get seriously injured. I can’t stop thanking Heavenly Father for that blessing.




SO... if your baby ever falls off the bed {or something else}...

(1) Stay calm and try to comfort your baby {this will help you AND your little one}

(2) Check for any injuries. {Specifically broken bones, serious head wounds, lumps bruises etc. I read that it is best to do this with the baby/child undressed.}

(3) Check pupils. {You want them to both be the same size. If they are not, this could indicate a brain injury. Take them to the ER.}

(4) Check on them for the next few hours after the incident. If they become difficult to arouse or are unresponsive in any way or are inconsolable for a long while after the incident.... Take them to the ER.


Those are my few words of wisdom.

(Kylene did I get that right???)


And to all those mothers whose babies have fallen off the bed...

I now join your ranks.


P.S. I did eventually wash my hands... I just don't know what I all touched in the meantime {sheepish grin}

4 comments:

  1. That is scary. Baylee fell off our chair. She was propped against the arm rest and somehow flipped over it. I FREAKED out. The scream just makes you panic and breaks your heart. Scary indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. You did a great job spelling it out and handling the situation very calmly. Bravo for you. And hooray for Eithan surviving his first battle wound...or should I say flesh wound? Ha ha! I'm glad everything turned out okay. How's he doing now?
    -Kylene

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! You literally just told my EXACT story with Grant from about two months ago. He was like 8 months old and the same thing happened. I was in the room with him and just turned around for one second to grab something and when I heard the thump on the floor I thought I was going to puke! That is the WORST feeling ever! I did the same thing too with calling everyone... mine list went like this:
    1. call Cameron(at work so i knew he couldn't answer, but I was hoping he would see that I called, which is unusual and call back)
    2. Call my mom-she was no help, she just freaked out too! (:
    3. Call Cameron about 30 more times and leave a message with me and grand both crying frantically.
    4. call friend who's husband is an ER Dr.- he answered and walked me through all the same steps that you outlined...

    Grant had a HUGe bruise on his forehead just in time for church the next day and everyone asked what happened. I felt SO dumb telling them, but almost every single person had a similar story to share, which made me feel better.

    ANYWAY(this is the longest comment I have ever left on someone's blog (: ) - glad he is doing fine. It is really amazing how well they bounce back and what their little bodies can handle. I think I need to chill out though because I know little boys get lots worse injuries than bumps on the head (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. o, poor baby boy! yep, i'm in this club. not fun. not fun at all. and, it seems like one boo-boo gets cleared up just in time for the next. ugh! hopefully he's feeling better now! so sorry! :(

    ReplyDelete